Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Dreaded Blue Screen of Death





I have had this thing happen to me periodically for months now, but only every few weeks. I put off calling support because I was always in the middle of writing something and I knew that it would take hours on the phone. This week I got that screen every day when I boot up. I would reboot and it would be fine all day.

I decided to bite the bullet and call support today since my support contract expires in 2 months. I was on hold for 45 minutes!! When Abdul finally came on the phone, I read to him the stop codes and he said that indicated a problem with the modem. I only use the modem as a backup for my high speed connection, and as a matter of fact I haven't used it at all on this PC. Abdul took over my computer with the Dell Go to Assist product, and tried to update the driver for the modem, and every attempt failed to unzip all the files downloaded. He tried MANY times. Finally he asked if he could leave me without a modem. ARGGGHHH!

I agreed, saying that I would watch for any future blue screens and then call him back to get a working modem driver. Total time on the phone: 2 hours. Thank goodness for cordless speaker phones.







No comments: