Saturday, January 28, 2012

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward


This book was a difficult read. At first I thought it was just me, since I was trying to work on my own project at the same time I was reading this group selection for the month. Then I saw others in the group were having the same problem.

The writing is slick, but it seemed the story wasn't going anywhere, plodding around in circles. Some in the group concluded Ms Ward was mirroring the activty of the storm in the Gulf, Katrina. As the storm gained strength, so did the story, vicious and brutal as the dog fight.

It is the story of the Batiste family, survivors of a mother who died giving birth to Junior, leaving one girl Esch with three brothers and an alcoholic father. Even as the action picked up, it was still a difficult read. Esch, a name like a whisper (hush), trying to find her way through the storm of life without a female role model.

If there ever was a character I wanted to slap straight, it was Esch. The story tore at my heart, the same way that storm did.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

No comments: