Tuesday, November 6, 2012

No Nano this year for me

NaNoWriMo (the National Novel Writing Month) is a good way to jump-start a novel.  Write 50,000 words in the month of November and you win a certificate or something.  I completed my new novel last year, NaNo 2011, after weak starts in 2009 and 2010.  I considered doing NaNo 2012 with a new idea that is just starting to crystallize.  Then I decided with everything else going on this November in addition to my usual complaint about NaNo-Thanksgiving, I would bow out.

I've been doing my part to get out the vote this year, phone banking, registering voters, social media, and this week I went into hiding until Tuesday. I was just about burnt out. 


And then there is my annual college friends' trip.  We usually do it in the summertime, and we take turns hosting.  This year is being hosted by our friend who lives in New York City.  Fortunately, the last I heard, she didn't lose power during the storm.  But the five of us won't be piling into her place anyway.  She planned for us to go to her family homeplace in rural Pennsylvania.  The nearest airport is Pittsburgh.  These are my friends who survived hitch-hiking around Europe in the 60's.  We know about roughing it, just haven't done much of it in the last 40 years.  And we're watching the weather for the possibility of a Nor'easter.  With any luck we'll get out of there and back home well before Thanksgiving.

So NoNo NaNo this year.

No comments: