Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Curious Case of Brad Pitt


I don't have anything against Brad Pitt, He just isn't one of the actors that fall in my "must see his next movie" category. Before today I had seen only four of his movies, Oceans 11, 12, 13 and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. They were all fun movies (except "12") that didn't particularly challenge the acting skills of any of the cast.

I don't even hold his escapades with Angelina against him. If anything, she makes Brad more interesting. I even thought that maybe her acting ability might rub off on him in this movie...wrong!

I thought the story of Benjamin Button was intriguing. A baby is born showing the physical traits of an old man, and over time grows younger. The movie was loosely (and I do mean loosely) based on a short story by F.Scott Fitzgerald. The times and places are very much altered for the movie. You can read the whole thing in eleven pages online here.

The home base for the movie is New Orleans and spans the time from WWI to Hurricane Katrina, but has none of the historical significance that I expected. The photography is beautiful, but after 2 1/2 hours, I was ready to get to the end. The only thing left to learn was how Benjamin came to his end. It was a tediously long sequence of events. I was glad when it was over. I didn't even stay to watch the credits; I didn't care who was involved.

I give it 2 stars. I promised Sweetie I wouldn't drag him to any more movies this year.

No comments: