Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Testament

The TestamentThe Testament by John Grisham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I always think of John Grisham as a lawyer who hates the practice of law so much that he would rather expose the sleaze-bags who practice law than be one. When I read one of his books, I always expect to read about the worst money-grubbing lawyer tactics.

It was no surprise when I got a lot of that from The Testament. The swarm of lawyers contesting the last will and testament of a billionaire were sleazy to the point of being comic. But there was another testament. I didn't expect Grisham to get spiritual on me. One alcohol-abusing, cocaine snorting, womanizer "gets saved."

It's a good read. It almost lost me in the Brazilian Pantanal. Between the alligators, anaconda, mosquitos, and torrential rains, I wondered what it had to do with the testament, but it all worked for good. There was no murder, just a gradual unraveling of "how do we make this work."



View all my reviews

No comments: