Saturday, May 7, 2011

More Than You Know

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading Rosalyn Story's Wading Home, I loved it so much that I had to read her first novel, More Than You Know. When I first saw the title, I started singing the old standard by that name, without knowing the song was a thread throughout the novel.



It's a sweet, poignant love story of a nine-year-old boy who promised never to tell where the infant came from before he delivered her to Big Mama to adopt and raise. Eighteen years later he finds that baby all grown up, and they have a happy marriage for 25 years, until he tell her the secret. She banishes him, he runs away, and we find him living homeless on the streets of New York City.

I loved the lyrical quality of this story, but not as much as I loved Wading Home. I loved the jazz music that tells it's own story as background to the plight of LJ and Olivia as the secret slowly unravels with all the threads that tore them apart and would finally bring them back together.

I give it four stars



No comments: