Friday, October 17, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees


This is a Chick flick, but I think the guys should enjoy it too. I read the book a few years back when it was a GMA Book Club selection, and my book club read it too. I didn't remember all the details of the book, but as the movie unfolded, I found it to be very true to the book.

I remembered that there were a lot of heated discussions among book clubs that I knew about. You know some of us get a little annoyed when white people write stories about black people, particularly when they fit the "Magic Negro" model. You know the ones where the black hero seems to have no purpose in life other than solving all the problems of white people. Remember "The Green Mile."

But it was a good book that turns out to be an excellent vehicle for black movie talent...and they didn't even have to sing. Will and Jada Smith produced it. The stars were Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys, the amazing Sophie Okonedo (Hotel Rwanda), Nate Parker (The Great Debaters). Dakota Fanning always delivers.

The timing of the release was perfect. When you see what Jennifer Hudson's character goes through to register to vote, you will be inspired.

I give it 3 stars.

No comments: